Michael Symon's Braised Cabbage
Cabbage with Beer and Bacon
Braised Cabbage Recipe: Humble cabbage gets a welcome lift from crispy bacon and a bottle of beer.
- 1 cup Bacon (diced)
- 2 heads Savoy Cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 bottle IPA Beer
- 2 tablespoons Brown Mustard (such as Bertman's)
- 2 tablespoons Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1/2 cup Chives (chopped)
Michael and Daphne's Sides - 1
1 cup Bacon (diced)
1 Yellow Onion
2 heads Savoy Cabbage (thinly sliced)
1 bottle IPA Beer
Heat a large dutch- oven over medium high heat. Add the bacon, and cook until crisp. Add the onions with a pinch of salt, and cook until the onions are translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and beer with a large pinch of salt and cook, with a lid until the cabbage is wilted but is still toothy.
2 tablespoons Brown Mustard (such as Bertman's)
2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tablespoons Flat Leaf Parsley
1/2 cup Chives (chopped)
Stir in the mustard and vinegar and check for seasoning. You may want to add some additional salt, mustard, and vinegar here, depending on preference. Remove the cabbage from the heat and stir in the herbs.
1. Use any type of cabbage for this recipe. Remember that any greens, including cabbage, cook down a lot.
2. You can use any beer you have in the house to braise, or even hard cider.
3. If your cabbage tastes too bitter, then add a teaspoon of sugar for sweetness.