Pot Roast with Herb Salad
Michael Symon's Braised Pot Roast
- 3 pounds Chuck Roast
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground Pepper
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Carrot (peeled and large diced)
- 1 cup Red Pepper (large diced)
- 2 cups Leeks (large diced)
- 4 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 small Celery Root (peeled and large diced)
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 2 cups Marinara
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 cup fresh or frozen Peas
For the Herb Salad:
- 1 bunch fresh Parsley (chopped)
- 1 bunch fresh Chives (roughly chopped)
- 1 small Red Onion (slivered)
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Thaw roast overnight in refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Take the roast out 30 minutes before cooking. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over high heat. When the oil is hot, sear the meat, about 2 minutes on each side. Move the meat to the side, or remove it entirely if you have to, and add the carrots, red pepper, leeks, and celery root. Brown the vegetables, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the wine to deglaze the pot, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom. Add the marinara sauce, 1 cup of water and the bay leaves (and the pot roast if you removed it). Bring the liquid to a simmer and taste for seasoning, adding more salt if necessary. Cover the pot and place it in the oven for 3 hours, basting the meat occasionally.
- Remove the roast from the oven and discard the bay leaves. Stir in the peas to warm them. The meat can be removed to a cutting board and sliced or pulled apart in the pot. Serve with plenty of the sauce, vegetables and herb salad.
- For the Herb Salad: Toss the ingredients together in a large bowl. Serve with the Braised Pot Roast.
Similar categories: Dinner