This was the dish that turned Michael into an Iron Chef.
Braised Swordfish with Chorizo and Clams
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 6 Swordfish fillets (about 6-oz each)
- Kosher salt
- 1 Yellow onion (minced)
- 2 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 Fennel bulb (cut into medium dice)
- 1 Serrano chile (minced)
- 1 Carrot (cut into medium dice)
- 1/2 Lb Smoked chorizo (cut into 1/4-inch pieces)
- 1/2 Cup Sherry
- 1 Pinch Saffron
- 1 Cup Chicken stock
- 1 12- ounce can crushed whole peeled tomatoes (with their juice)
- 1 .5 Lb Middleneck clams (about 24), well washed
- 2 Tablespoon Chopped kalamata olives
- 3 Tablespoon Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 Tablespoons Sliced fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a 7- or 8-quart enameled cast-iron Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Season the swordfish with salt, add it to the pan, and brown it, about 2 minutes per side. Add the onion, garlic, fennel, chili, and carrot; lower the heat to medium; and cook to sweat the vegetables, about 2 minutes. Add the chorizo and continue to sweat. Pour in the sherry and bring to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the pot. Add the saffron, stock, tomatoes, olives and clams and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and place it in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the clams open. Discard any clams that do not open. Remove from the oven, and garnish with parsley, basil, and a drizzle of olive oil and serve.