White Beans with Pancetta and Rosemary
Mario Batali's Braised White Beans
- 3 cups Dried White Beans
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 ounces Pancetta (cubed)
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 3 Carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 3 ribs Celery (chopped)
- 3 Garliccloves
- 2 sprigs Rosemary (leaves only)
- Turkey Stock (to cover)
- 1/2 cups Panko Breadcrumbs
- Two days before, place beans and rosemary and garlic cloves in a large bowl and cover with two inches of water. Soak overnight.
- Drain the next day, and cover with more water. Soak another night.
- Drain beans and set aside. In a dutch oven over medium heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil and add the pancetta. Render the fat from the pancetta and cook until it crisps. Add the onion, carrots, and celery, and season with a generous pinch of salt, cooking until crisp and brown in places. Add the rosemary, beans, and garlic clove. Add turkey stock to come just under the top of the beans. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick pan, add a tablespoon of olive oil and add the bread crumbs, cooking until crisp. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.