Brussels Sprouts, Potatoes, and Carrots
Annie Baca's Brazen Veggies
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil (unrefined first cold press)
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)
- 20 small Brussels Sprouts (stemmed and cleaned)
- 2 cloves Garlic (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 5 large Carrots (cut in 1-inch pieces)
- 20 small Fingerling Potatoes (halved)
- 6-8 Baby Turnips (quartered)
- 1/2 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 3 teaspoons New Mexico Red Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 5 Celery Stalks (thick slices)
- 2 Green Apples (chopped)
- 4 Celery tops with Leaves
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 1 sprig Thyme
- Lemon (juice and zest)
- Water (to cover)
- White Rice (to serve)
- In a large dutch oven or pot, melt coconut oil. Add chopped onions and cook until they begin to turn golden brown. Try not to stir onions too much, you want them to brown.
- Once onions have browned, add the Brussels sprouts. When sprouts begin to lightly brown add garlic and salt. Stir and follow with carrots and potatoes and turnips.
- When these too begin to change color make a well in bottom center of pot and add the fennel seeds. Toast quickly and add chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and black pepper. Stir spices into the veggies and add celery and apples. Tie celery tops, rosemary and thyme together tightly. Throw the bundle into the pot.
- Add water just to cover and lemon juice. Cover pot and bring to a simmer, cooking until veggies are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest. Serve over white rice.