Brussels Sprouts, Potatoes, and Carrots
- step-by-step directions
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (unrefined first cold press)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 20 small Brussels sprouts (stemmed and cleaned)
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 large carrots (cut in 1-inch pieces)
- 20 small fingerling P=potatoes (halved)
- 6-8 baby turnips (quartered)
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 teaspoons New Mexico red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 celery stalks (thick slices)
- 2 green apples (chopped)
- 4 celery tops with leaves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- lemon (juice and zest)
- water (to cover)
- white rice (to serve)
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, melt coconut oil. Add chopped onions and cook until they begin to turn golden brown.
- Once onions have browned, add the Brussels sprouts. When sprouts begin to lightly brown, add the garlic, salt, carrots, potatoes and turnips. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to caramelize.
- Add the fennel seeds, letting them toast quickly. Then add chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and black pepper. Stir spices into the veggies and add celery and apples. Using kitchen twine, tie the celery tops, rosemary and thyme together tightly. Throw the bundle into the pot.
- Add water just to cover and the lemon juice. Cover pot and bring to a simmer, cooking until veggies are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest. Serve over white rice.