Check out Jamie Deen's hearty breakfast bake, perfect for a Father's Day brunch!
- step-by-step directions
- butter (for greasing pan)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound hot Italian turkey sausage (casings removed)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 pound loaf rustic French or Italian bread (cut into 1-inch-thick cubes)
- 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh chives plus more for garnish (sliced)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Butter a 4-quart baking dish.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the sausage, onions and bell peppers. Cook, while stirring, until the sausage is cooked through and crumbly and the onions and peppers are soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add the bread to the prepared baking dish. Stir in the sausage and pepper mixture and the cheese, reserving a bit of cheese for the top.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, chives and some salt and pepper. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread and give a little stir to make sure it's evenly distributed. Sprinkle with the reserved cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and let soak for 30 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F.
- Bake until the top is puffed and golden and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 1 hour. Garnish with more chopped chives before serving.
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad
Grilled Grouper with Key Lime Mango Salsa
Leftover Meat 'n' Potato Ravioli
Spicy Roasted Head of Cauliflower
Grilled Shrimp with Bacon Jam
Tropical Grilled Shrimp Salad
Capri-Style Vegetable Salad
Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami
Grilled Swordfish With Mojo
Stephen Smith's Meaty Cheesy Lasagna
Fried Chicken Sandwich with Brussels Sprouts Slaw