Mapley Brown Rice with Fruit
Mark Bittman's Breakfast Pilaf
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/3 cups Brown Rice
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Ginger
- 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 3 cups Fruit (seasonal; chopped)
- 1/2 cup chopped Fresh Mint
- Put the oil in a large, deep skillet or medium saucepan over medium hear. When it's hot, add the rice. Cook, stirring, until the kernels are glossy, completely coated with oil, and have started to color, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt and the spices and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add 1 3/4 cups water, the syrup, and half the fruit. Stir once or twice, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat so the mixture bubbles gently and cover the pan.
- Cook until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is just tender, 20 to 40 minutes, depending on the rice. Uncover, stir in the remaining fruit and half of the mint, if you're using it. Replace the lid, and remove from the heat. Let the pilaf rest for at least 5 -- or up to 20 -- minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Fluff the mixture with a fork and serve, topping again with the remaining mint.