Fancy Grilled Cheese
Clinton Kelly's Brie and Apple Grilled Cheese
- 8 Whole Grain Pullman Bread Slices
- 3 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1/2 pound Brie Cheese
- 1/4 cup crushed toasted Pecans
- 4 slices Bacon (cooked)
- 11 Grainy Mustard (to garnish)
For the Cranberry Apple Chutney:
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- 2 tart Apples (diced)
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- Preheat a griddle over medium heat. Spread mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread. Spread with grainy mustard and top with scoops of softened brie. Spread the chutney on the inside of the bread and top with bacon and crushed pecans. Top with another slice of bread with mayonnaise on the outside.
- Place the sandwiches in the preheated griddle and top with a brick. Cook until slightly crispy on the first side. Flip and continue to cook until crispy on the second side and the cheese is seeping out of the edges of the sandwich. Remove from heat and enjoy. Serve with cranberry apply chutney.
- For the Cranberry Apple Chutney: In a saute pan, combine the apples and butter. Saute until apples are slightly softened. Add the lemon juice, sugar, dried cranberries and a splash of water. Sauté until softened and flavored have melded, about 10 minutes.
- Helpful Tips:
- 1. You can use any type of apple for the compote.
2. Grill with mayo on the outside of your bread for a great golden-brown color.
3. Scoop out the inside of the Brie for your sandwich because the rind won’t melt.
4. Cook grilled cheese sandwiches on low so the bread doesn’t burn.