Michael Symon's Brisket with Pearl Onions and Potatoes
- 3-5 pound Brisket
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/2 pound Pearl Onions
- 4 Anchovies
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 8 cloves Garlic
- 4 sprigs Rosemary (tied in bundle)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 6 Carrots (peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 6 Parsnips (peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 3 cups Beef Stock
- Fresh Horseradish (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Season the brisket generously with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil and sear the brisket deeply on all sides. Remove to a plate, and add the onions and anchovies to the remaining hot fat. Add the tomato paste and cook until it begins to turn a rusty color, then add the garlic, bay leaf, and rosemary. Add the vegetables and flour and toss with wooden spoon to lightly coat the vegetables in the flour and tomato mixture.
- Add the wine to deglaze the pan, scraping the brown bits off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon as much as possible. Add the brisket back to the pan and add stock to come 1/3rd up the side of the pan.
- Transfer to oven and cook 2 to 3 hours, until meat is very tender. Garnish with freshly grated horseradish.
Similar categories: Dinner