Winter vegetables like carrots and parsnips pair nicely with a hearty roast.
Brisket with Pearl Onions and Potatoes
- 4-5 pounds beef brisket
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound pearl onions (frozen)
- 4 anchovies (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 cloves garlic (smashed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs rosemary (tied in bundle)
- 6 carrots (peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 6 parsnips (peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 cups beef stock
- horseradish (freshly grated, to garnish)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 300ºF. Season the brisket generously with salt and freshly ground pepper. Place a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and sear the brisket deeply on all sides, about 5 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onions and anchovies to the remaining hot oil and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook until it begins to turn a rusty color, then add the garlic, bay leaf, and rosemary. Add the vegetables and flour and toss with wooden spoon to lightly coat the vegetables in the flour and tomato mixture. Add the wine to deglaze the pan, scraping the brown bits off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon as much as possible. Add the brisket back to the pan and add stock.
- Cover and transfer to oven and cook 2 to 3 hours, until meat is very tender. Garnish with freshly grated horseradish. To serve, slice brisket against the grain.
Similar categories: Ingredients Beef Courses & Meals Dinner Beef Holidays & Occasions Christmas Christmas Main Dishes