Sweet and savory in one pie!
J. Jackson's Brown Sugar Bacon and Apple Pie
- For the Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Butter (chilled and diced)
- 1/4 cup Ice water
For the Pie Filling:
- 5-6 Granny Smith Apples (cored and then sliced and peeled)
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Greek Vanilla Yogurt
For the Bacon Lattice and Crumb Topping:
- 6 Pieces Applewood thick cut bacon
- 2-3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- Pinch of Cumin
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Light Brown Sugar (packed)
- 3 tablespoons Cold Butter
- For the Pie Crust: In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add in water slowly until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Roll dough out to fit 9" pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough in the plate on bottom and sides.
- For the Pie Filling: Combine all filling ingredients in a large bowl. Mix to coat apples evenly.
- For the Bacon Lattice and Crumb Topping: Combine brown sugar, cumin and flakes. Rub sugar mixture on bacon.
- Combine flour, brown sugar and cold butter. Mix together with forks or pastry blender until small crumbs form.
- For Assembly: Spoon apple filling into crust. Sprinkle with crumb topping mixture. Lattice coated uncooked bacon on top of pie.
- Bake pie at 375F for 50 minutes or until apples are tender, bacon is crispy and filling is bubbling.
- Let cool slightly and have at it! Serve a la mode, with whipped cream or by itself.