Makeover your slaw recipe with this sophisticated version chock-full of Brussels sprouts, kale, and an elegant champagne vinaigrette.
Brussels Sprout and Kale Slaw
- 1/2 pound Brussels Sprouts
- 1 small bunch of Kale (about 4 cups lightly packed leaves)
- 1 small Granny Smith Apple
- 1/3 cup shaved Pecorino
- 1/2 cup Hazelnuts
- For the Champagne Vinegrette:
- 3 tablespoons Champagne Vinegar
- 6 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Kosher Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- Wash and pat dry Brussels sprouts and kale. Using a sharp knife or mandolin, finely cut the Brussels sprouts (across the stem) to give you fine ribbons. Remove tough stems from the kale leaves and discard. Stack the leaves up on top of one another and cut across the stem so it yields a similar shape to the shaved Brussels sprouts.
- Cut the sides of the apple off and cut into thin slices. Rough chop hazelnuts then spread on a sheet pan and roast in a 375 degree F pre-heated oven for 5 to 7 minutes until golden.
- For the Champagne Vinegrette: Make vinaigrette by combining ingredients in a bowl and whisking together until lightly emulsified.
- To serve, mix the Brussels sprouts, kale and apple together well in a large salad bowl. Lightly dress with champagne vinaigrette then stack salad up on a large plate. Top with shaved Pecorino and chopped toasted hazelnuts.