Buche de Noel Cupcakes
- step-by-step directions
Buche de Noel Cupcakes
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 Cup semisweet chocolate (melted)
- 2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 7 large eggs (separated)
- 1 1/2 Cups granulated sugar (divided)
- 1/2 Tsp cream of tartar
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 Tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- Whipped Filling: Whipped Filling: powdered sugar (to decorate) Whipped Filling:
- 1 Cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/4 Cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond-flavored liquor
- Glaze: Glaze: pinch of salt Glaze:
- 1 Cup bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 Cup semisweet chocolate
- 8 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- For the Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 375ºF. Butter a 12-cup muffin tin and dust with flour.
- Place chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 20 seconds intervals, stirring between intervals, until smooth. Add the vanilla, stir to combine and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until pale yellow and the mixture has tripled in volume. The yolks should hold a ribbon like line when lifted. Slowly add the chocolate mixture, continuously stirring to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. Continue to whisk while slowly adding remaining sugar. Sprinkle in the cream of tartar and whisk to incorporate.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Alternate folding the egg whites and flour mixtures into the yolks until some streaks remain.
- Use a large ice cream scoop to transfer batter evenly to the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when touched. Remove muffin tin to a cooling rack and allow to completely cool.
- Fill cupcakes with filling from the top using a small-tipped pastry bag. Using a spatula or butter knife, spread a small amount if glaze on top to cover. Use tool to make a wood-like pattern in glaze. Place cupcakes in fridge to chill for 15 minutes.
- Dust heavily with powdered sugar to decorate.
- For the Whipped Filling: In a large bowl, add the mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, almond-flavored liquor and a pinch of salt and whisk to combine.
- For the Glaze: Place the chocolates and butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 20 second intervals, stirring between intervals, until smooth. Remove and stir in cream until incorporated. Reheat in microwave for 10-20 seconds when ready to use.
- 1. The tartar helps to stabilize the whipped egg whites.
- 2. If you wanted to make a cake, simply pour the batter in two cake pans. Stack the two baked cakes with chocolate ganache in the middle.
Molasses Glazed Ham with Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits
Chocolate Peppermint Marshmallows
Peppermint Chocolate Torte
Fried Meatballs Stuffed with Mozzarella
Gingerbread Man Cookie Sandwiches
Perfectly Spiced Roast Chicken
Classic Holiday Brisket
5 Ingredient Crinkle Cookies
Polenta with Sausage Ragu and Fresh Mozzarella