Carla Hall's Buche de Noel Cupcakes
- For the Cupcakes:
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate (melted)
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 7 large Eggs (separated)
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Powdered Sugar (to decorate)
For the Whipped Filling:
- 1 cup Mascarpone Cheese
- 1 1/4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Amaretto Liqueur
- pinch of Salt
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup Bittersweet Chocolate
- 1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- 8 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- For the Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter a 12 count muffin tin and dust with flour. Place chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 20 seconds intervals, stirring between intervals, until smooth. Stir in vanilla and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whip egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until pale and has tripled in volume. The yolks should hold a ribbon like line when lifted. Stir in the chocolate mixture.
- In a large bowl, whip egg whites until frothy. Continue to whip while slowly adding remaining sugar. Sprinkle in the cream of tartar and whip to incorporate.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Alternate folding the egg whites and flour mixtures into the yolks until some streaks remain. Use a large ice cream scoop to transfer batter evenly to the prepared muffin tin. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when touched. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in muffin tin.
- Fill cupcakes with filling from the top using a small-tipped pastry bag. Using a spatula or butter knife, spread a small amount if glaze on top to cover. Use tool to make a wood-like pattern in glaze. Place cupcakes in fridge to chill for 15 minutes. Dust heavily with powdered sugar to decorate.
- For the Whipped Filling: Whip the ingredients together until fully combined.
- For the Glaze: Place the chocolates and butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 20 second intervals, stirring between intervals, until smooth. Remove and stir in cream until incorporated. Reheat in microwave for 10 to 20 seconds when ready to use.