Buche de Noel Cupcakes
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 Cup semisweet chocolate (melted)
- 2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 7 large eggs (separated)
- 1 1/2 Cups granulated sugar (divided)
- 1/2 Tsp cream of tartar
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 Tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- Whipped Filling: Whipped Filling: powdered sugar (to decorate) Whipped Filling:
- 1 Cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/4 Cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond-flavored liquor
- Glaze: Glaze: pinch of salt Glaze:
- 1 Cup bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 Cup semisweet chocolate
- 8 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- For the Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 375ºF. Butter a 12-cup muffin tin and dust with flour.
- Place chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 20 seconds intervals, stirring between intervals, until smooth. Add the vanilla, stir to combine and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until pale yellow and the mixture has tripled in volume. The yolks should hold a ribbon like line when lifted. Slowly add the chocolate mixture, continuously stirring to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. Continue to whisk while slowly adding remaining sugar. Sprinkle in the cream of tartar and whisk to incorporate.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Alternate folding the egg whites and flour mixtures into the yolks until some streaks remain.
- Use a large ice cream scoop to transfer batter evenly to the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when touched. Remove muffin tin to a cooling rack and allow to completely cool.
- Fill cupcakes with filling from the top using a small-tipped pastry bag. Using a spatula or butter knife, spread a small amount if glaze on top to cover. Use tool to make a wood-like pattern in glaze. Place cupcakes in fridge to chill for 15 minutes.
- Dust heavily with powdered sugar to decorate.
- For the Whipped Filling: In a large bowl, add the mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, almond-flavored liquor and a pinch of salt and whisk to combine.
- For the Glaze: Place the chocolates and butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 20 second intervals, stirring between intervals, until smooth. Remove and stir in cream until incorporated. Reheat in microwave for 10-20 seconds when ready to use.
- 1. The tartar helps to stabilize the whipped egg whites.
- 2. If you wanted to make a cake, simply pour the batter in two cake pans. Stack the two baked cakes with chocolate ganache in the middle.