Biscuit Stuffing with Celery, Shallots, and Mushrooms
Clinton Kelly's Buttermilk Biscuit Stuffing
- 12 Buttermilk Biscuits (cut into large cubes)
- Butter (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound Cremini Mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 Celery Ribs (diced)
- 4 Shallots (chopped)
- freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 6 Sage Leaves (chopped)
- 3 sprigs Thyme (leaves torn)
- 2 1/2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Eggs (room temperature)
For the Buttermilk Biscuits:
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 10 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (cubed and chilled)
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread biscuits onto a baking sheet and toast for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in a large mixing bowl.
- In a large sauté pan melt a few tablespoons of butter and equal portion of oil over medium-high. Once hot, add the mushrooms and allow to cook for 1 minute before salt. Season and cook until golden on the first side then flip and allow to cook until crisp, about 3 more minutes. Transfer mushrooms to bowl with toasted biscuits.
- Return pan to heat and add a few tablespoons of oil. Add the celery and shallots and season with salt. Sauté vegetables for a few minutes, just until shallots turn translucent and celery softens. Add herbs and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Remove from heat and pour mixture over mushrooms and biscuits and toss to incorporate. Whisk together the stock and eggs. Pour over the biscuits mixture. Add the cream. Season with salt and pepper and gently fold so biscuits absorb liquid but do not crumble.
- Pour mix into the greased baking dish, pressing gently to make sure it all fits. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and allow to bake for 15 more minutes or until top is crisp and golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- For the Buttermilk Biscuits: Preheat oven to 400 F. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Knead in the butter until pea-sized. Pour in milk and stir until dough comes together.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, portion dough into 12 pieces and place on a baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between each. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature. Biscuits can be a made a few days in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.