Daphne Oz's Butternut Squash with Goat Cheese Crostini
- 20 ounces (1 large) Butternut Squash (peeled and diced)
- Olive Oil
- Onion (diced)
- 1/4 cup Real Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground Pepper
- 1/2 cup Goat Cheese
- 1/2 Baguette (1/2-inch pieces; sliced on bias; toasted)
- 1/2 cup Chives (chopped; to garnish)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add butternut squash and cook until very tender, about 10 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add cider vinegar and lower heat. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to caramelize for about 20 to 25 minutes. During the last 5 minutes, stir in maple syrup. Mix together onions with butternut squash in a large bowl, and mash until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the crostini with goat cheese. Top with butternut squash mixture, and garnish with chives.