Skip the boxed version and make your own!
Butterscotch Pudding with Vanilla Salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 vanilla beans (or 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract)
- Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 325F. Split and scrape the vanilla beans from pods and stir vanilla bean paste into egg yolks. Set aside.
- Place the vanilla pods on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until pod is dry. Be careful not to burn the pods. As pods cool, they will become brittle. Break up the pods and place them in a blender with 1/2 cup kosher salt. Pulse until vanilla bean is finely chopped and mixed with the salt. Set aside vanilla salt. For a courser salt, mix in flake salt.
- In a stainless steel pot, melt butter on medium heat and add brown sugar. Stir until sugar is completely melted.
- Add cream and milk; heat until small bubbles appear around the edges of the pot. Do not scald or bring to a boil.
- In a large bowl, temper hot cream into egg yolks. Pour mix through fine mesh strainer into clean bowl. Ladle mix into 4 ramekins. Place ramekins in baking dish lined with a kitchen towel and pour hot water halfway up the sides of ramekins. Make a foil tent over the baking dish.
- Bake for 35 - 45 minutes or until the center of the puddings are like jello. Remove from oven and allow to cool in fridge. Serve with whipped cream and sprinkle with vanilla salt.