The best of the fall in one sweet and savory dish!
Pumpkin Apple Mash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 3/4 cup Swanson® Chicken Broth (Regular or Natural Goodness® or Certified Organic)
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (crushed)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pumpkin or calabaza squash (peeled and seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 medium Macintosh apples (peeled and cored and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- Heat the butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion is tender-crisp.
- Stir the broth, brown sugar, thyme, black pepper and pumpkin in the saucepan and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Stir the apples in the saucepan. Cook for 5 minutes or until the apples are tender. Mash the pumpkin mixture, adding additional broth, if needed, until desired consistency.