A savory spin on a holiday staple!
Turkey and Cornbread Stuffing with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 3/4 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth (Regular or Natural Goodness® or Certified Organic)
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds (optional)
- 5 cups Pepperidge Farm® Cornbread Stuffing
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- Vegetable oil
- Heat the butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and cook until they're tender, stirring occasionally. Stir the broth, poultry seasoning and tomatoes in the saucepan and heat to a boil. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the almonds, if desired. Add the stuffing and mix lightly.
- Remove the package of giblets and neck from the turkey cavity. Rinse the turkey with cold water and pat dry. Spoon the stuffing mixture lightly into the neck and body cavities. Fold the loose skin over the stuffing mixture. Tie the ends of the drumsticks together.
- Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large roasting pan. Brush the turkey with the oil. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, not touching the bone.
- Roast at 325°F. for 3 1/2 hours or until the thermometer reads 165°F., basting occasionally with the pan drippings. Begin checking for doneness after 3 hours of the roasting time. Let the turkey stand for 10 minutes before slicing.