Cannelloni al Forno
Don't know what to make for dinner? Try this Italian dish!
- step-by-step directions
Cannelloni al Forno
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound hot italian sausage casing removed
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano grated plus more for garnishing pasta
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Pinch nutmeg
- 1 Egg beaten
- 1 Recipe basic pasta dough
- 1 cup basic tomato sauce
- 1 cup besciamella
- salt and fresh pepper
- For the Besciamella: In a large skillet, heat the butter over high heat until it foams and subsides. Add the hot Italian sausage and cook over high heat until it begins to brown in its own fat. Drain the excess fat and add the Parmigiano, the flour and the milk and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly, then remove from heat and allow to cool. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir in the egg. Set aside.
- For the Cannelloni: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll the pasta out to the thinnest setting on a pasta rolling machine and cut it into rectangles measuring 4 inches by 6 inches.
- Divide the meat filling evenly among the rectangles and roll the pasta around the filling, jelly-roll style making 14 to 16 canneloni. Blanch until tender in boiling water. Remove and put in an ice water bath.
- In an 8 or 9-inch square, oven-proof casserole, spoon half the tomato sauce across the bottom in an even layer. Carefully lay each pasta package in the casserole so that they are in a single layer. Top with the remaining tomato sauce, then the bechamel. Finish with the freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and bake in the oven 20 to 25 minutes, until the sauces and cheese are bubbling and the edges of the pasta are crispy and browned. Serve immediately from the cooking dish.
Roasted Carrots and Chickpeas with Feta Vinaigrette
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Quinoa and Shrimp Medley
Peach and Sriracha Chicken Over Coconut Rice
Double Decker Buffalo Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Spring Orzo Salad
Swiss Chard and Feta Turnovers
Donut Puffs with Coffee Mousse
Mint Salsa Verde Glazed Smoked Ham
Mint Salsa Verde
Green Bloody Mary with Mint Salsa Verde