Treat yourself to a gourmet burger this weekend!
Capresa Sorpresa Burger
- For the Burger Patties:
- 1 pound Ground beef
- 1 pound Ground hot Italian pork sausage
- Ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 2 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon Liquid smoke flavoring
- 1 pound Fresh mozzarella cheese
- Basil (for garnish)
For Grilled Peppers:
- 3 Red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Peppercorns
- 2 Garlic cloves (crushed)
For the Sandwich:
- 2 Vidalia or white onion (sliced)
- 1 Jar of Sundried tomato spread
- 6 Focaccia bread
- Olive Oil
- For the Burger Patties: Season beef with salt, pepper, fresh garlic and liquid smoke. Mix beef with sausage.
- Form meat into patties roughly 5" in diameter.
- Slice cheese into 2-3" slices and lay on top of patty. Add basil and sun dried tomato paste, and top with a second meat patty. Crimp the edges to conceal stuffing, making sure no cheese is exposed.
- Pre-heat grill to Medium - High.
- Place patties on grill and cook for 6 - 8 minutes on each side.
- Brush bread with olive oil on both sides. Grill bread until golden
- Brush onion slices with olive oil and grill for 4 mins on each side.
- Layer burger patty on bottom bread, topped with onion, pepper, and top bread with sun dried tomato spread.
- Place sandwich back on grill and weight with a moderately heavy pot or pan (about 2.5 lbs) -- do not press sandwich, simply allow it to melt together. Cut sandwich and serve.
- For Grilled Peppers: Grill whole red pepper until skin is charred on all sides. Remove pepper from heat and seal in a paper bag for 30-60 mins. Remove peppers and peel away skin, leaving only the pepper flesh. Place pepper chunks in sanitized jars with olive oil, pepper corns, and crushed garlic.
Similar categories: Ingredients Beef Burgers Courses & Meals Dinner Lunch Sandwiches Cuisine Italian