Try Carla's twist on this classic dessert!
- step-by-step directions
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (low fat or whole)
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 box vanilla shortbread cookies
- 2 cups heavy cream (chilled)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum
- 1 lemon (zest)
- In a medium pot, add granulated sugar, salt, and flour, and whisk to combine. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly, to combine. Place over medium heat and cook until mixture begins to thicken, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Once thick, remove from heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add 2 bananas and mash well. Add the egg yolks and mix to combine. Add a small amount of the hot milk mixture, about 1/4 cup, to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Add egg yolk mixture into the pot with the milk mixture, stirring vigorously. Return heat to medium, continuously stirring, and add the butter and vanilla. Cook until mixture thickens again. Remove from heat.
- In a baking dish, add a layer of vanilla shortbread cookies. Next, slice the remaining bananas and add a layer of sliced bananas. Continue layering until all cookies and banana slices are used. Pour pudding mixture over the top. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to completely cool, about 2 hours and up to overnight.
- For the Whipped Cream: In a large bowl, whip the heavy cream and sugar to soft peaks. Mix in rum and zest of 1 lemon, and whip until soft peaks form. Top pudding with whipped cream.
Similar categories: Ingredients Fruit Bananas Courses & Meals Desserts Custards, Puddings, & Mousses
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad
Grilled Grouper with Key Lime Mango Salsa
Leftover Meat 'n' Potato Ravioli
Spicy Roasted Head of Cauliflower
Grilled Shrimp with Bacon Jam
Tropical Grilled Shrimp Salad
Capri-Style Vegetable Salad
Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami