Try Carla's twist on this classic dessert!
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups milk (low fat or whole)
- 2 Eggs (separated)
- 2 Bananas (very ripe and mashed)
- 2 tablespoons Butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 teapsoons Vanilla
- About 44 small Vanilla Shortbread Cookies
- 2 Bananas (ripe but firm)
- 2 cups Whipped Cream
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Rum
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- Combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar, salt, and flour in a medium bowl. Slowly stir milk into dry mixture.
- Put mixture on top of saucepan over simmering water and cook until mixture begins to thicken.
- Beat egg yolks and mashed bananas in a small bowl, then briskly stir a small amount of the hot mixture from step 2 (about 1/2 cup) into this mixture.
- Add egg yolk mixture back into the hot mixture in top of double boiler and stir in butter and vanilla. Cook until mixture thickens again.
- Place a layer of vanilla shortbread in an 11x7-inch baking dish (or other shape 2-quart shallow baking dish). Add a layer of sliced bananas. Continue layering until all cookies and banana slices are used. Pour pudding mixture over top, and place in refrigerator to cool.
- When cooled completely and ready to serve (at least 2 hours, and up to overnight) in a bowl, whip the 1/4 cup sugar into heavy cream. Mix in rum and zest of 1 lemon, and whip until soft peaks form. Top pudding with whipped cream.