Classic and fun, Carla's Caramel Apples are the perfect treat for parents and children of all ages to cook up on Halloween.
- step-by-step directions
- 1 Cup Honey
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 6 Granny Smith (Honeycrisp or Pink Lady Apples)
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts (chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Almonds (chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Flakey Sea Salt
- Bring a small pot of water to a rolling boil. Briefly submerge each apple, then wipe dry with paper towel, to remove wax coating. Set aside. Remove the stem of each apple, and insert a craft stick in its place.
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot, combine honey, cream, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Using a candy thermometer to read temperature, bring mixture to a boil, and then to a simmer. Stirring slowly and constantly, bring to a temperature of 265F, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place a sheet of parchment or wax paper onto a baking sheet, and coat lightly nonstick spray. Carefully twirl each apple in the caramel mixture and set onto prepared sheet. On individual plates, place the peanuts, almonds, walnuts, and sea salt. After caramel has cooled slightly, about 10 minutes, fold the pooled coating on the bottom of the apple upward. Roll in desired toppings, and serve.
Similar categories: Ingredients Fruit Apples Courses & Meals Desserts Candies Holidays & Occasions Halloween
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat