Carla and Clinton team up to bring you this breakfast staple with a new twist.
Carla Hall and Clinton Kelly's Ham and Cheese French Toast
- 10 slices Brioche (1 inch thick)
- 1 lb Cheddar Cheese (sliced)
- 1 lb Ham (sliced thick)
- 1/2 tsp Thyme Leaves (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Tarragon (chopped)
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 Red Onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 Granny Smith Apple (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 lb Arugula
- 2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Fried Egg per Sandwich1/4 cup milk
- Heat a pan or griddle to medium heat.
- Cut a pocket in the center of each slice of brioche. Set aside.
- In a bowl mix the ham and cheddar with chopped herbs. Stuff the bread with the ham and cheese mixture.
- Place the eggs in a baking dish or high-sided plate and whisk in the mustard, milk, cayenne, salt and pepper. Dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture.
- Spread the butter over the griddle. Place the sandwiches on the griddle and brown on each side, about 2 minutes per side or until the cheese has melted and sandwich is hot in the center.
- Remove the sandwiches to a platter and top each with a fried egg. Serve with the salad.
- To make the salad, combine the onion, apple and arugula in a large bowl. Dress the salad with the olive oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper.