An American classic....Carla Hall style
Carla Hall's Cranberry Apple Pie
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 sticks (8oz) and 1/2 cup chilled butter (cut into ½-inch cubes)
- 1/3 + 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon and a pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon and 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 Granny Smith apples (peeled and diced)
- ½ cup frozen cranberries
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lemon (zest and juiced)
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup pecans (chopped)
- For flaky pie crust: Combine water, salt, and sugar in measuring cup. Stir and place cup in fridge for at least 15 min (to chill water and to dissolve sugar and salt). If possible, chill mixing bowl and paddle attachment if possible.
- Combine flour and butter pieces in mixing bowl. On medium speed with mixer, cut butter into flour until butter pieces are the size of small pebbles. With the mixer running, pour the water from previous step into the butter mixture. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Separate the dough into 2 disks. Wrap each with film and chill.
- Roll chilled pastry dish out to fit a 9-inch pie dish. Prick all over dough with a fork. Bake on 375 for 10-15 minutes, or until it is lightly golden. Set aside to cool. Carla tip: if you don't have time to make the crust a store-bought flaky crust will do.
- For Cranberry Apple Filling: In a large bowl, combine apples and cranberries (frozen and dried) Stir in salt, sugars (brown and granulated), nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir in the zest and juice of 1 lemon. Carla tip: if you don't like cranberries try dried cherries or raisins instead.
- In a small bowl, combine water, cornstarch, and vanilla. Quickly stir mixture into apples. Adjust seasoning if desired.
- Fill pie dish with apple filling.
- For Crumble Topping: Place all the topping ingredients (Seen at left) into food processor and process until butter has been cut into the mixture. Carla tip: if you overmix your crumble just add extra nuts or oatmeal.
- Sprinkle topping over top of pie filling. Bake at 375 deg F for 30 minutes.