Carla's mother's recipe box is filled with delicious suggestions - and here's one with Carla's own unique twist.
Pancake Apple Rings with Apple Cider Syrup
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 lemon (zest)
- 2 Granny Smith apples (peeled and cored)
- butter (to grease griddle)
For the Apple Cider Syrup:
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1/2 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, add pancake mix, egg and milk, and whisk until smooth. Add pumpkin pie spice and the zest of 1/2 a lemon, and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Cut apples crosswise in 1/8-inch slices. Preheat griddle or nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of butter at a time to grease griddle. Using a toothpick, dip apple slices into batter. Place slices on the griddle and cook until golden brown. Flip and cook on the other side until golden brown. Serve warm with Apple Cider Syrup.
- For the Apple Cider Syrup: Add apple cider, lemon juice, zest, and cinnamon to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the liquid by half, to a syrup consistency. Set aside to cool.