Carla's mother's recipe box is filled with delicious suggestions - and here's one with Carla's own unique twist.
Fried Apple Pancake Rings
- 1 Cup Bisquick Baking Mix
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Zest of 1/2 Lemon
- 2 Medium Apples, pared and cored
- Lemon juice and zest (for apple cider syrup)
- Apple cider
- To make hot apple cider syrup:
- Add apple cider, lemon juice and zest, and cinnamon to a saucepan and bring to a boil. (Use your own comfort/judgement with how much to mix.) Reduce the liquid to a syrup consistency, by half.
- Beat baking mix, egg and milk with rotary beater until smooth. Add pumpkin pie spice and lemon zest to batter and mix until incorporated.
- Grease griddle.
- Core and cut apples crosswise in 1/8-inch slices.
- Using a toothpick dip slices into batter. Cook on hot griddle until golden brown, turning once. Serve hot with apple cider syrup.