Take a Bite Out of This Southern Favorite
Carla Hall's Fried Green Tomatoes
- 4 large green tomatoes, 1 cup of flour, 3/4 cup of course corn meal, 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs ( ground in a food processor), 1 tablespoon of baking soda, Nice pinch of S&P, 2 cups of buttermilk, 1 egg, Canola oil (to fry), 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- Husk and clean the corn. Keep the corn husks for corn broth.
- Mince the garlic, red onion and jalapeno peppers. Dice the red tomatoes and the parsley.
- Scrape the cobs with a large spoon or with the back of a knife to remove the juices or the "milk" as my granny called it. (Save the cobs to steep in water with a bay leaf for corn broth for a later use.)
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
Add the corn and cook quickly until corn is crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
Add the garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the peppers. Cook until fragrant,
about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a bowl, combine the corn mixture with the remaining ingredients.
Adjust the seasoning to taste. Serve warm over the fried green tomatoes or at room temperature.
Similar categories: Appetizers, Starters & Snacks