Be Like Carla and Eat Your Alcohol!
Carla Hall's Lemon Pudding Cake with Orange Liqueur
- Butter or vegetable spray
- 4 eggs yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Cup lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoon orange liqueur
- 2 Teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Cup milk
- 4 egg whites (at room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 6 ramekins (6oz) with butter or vegetable spray.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt. In a second bowl, whisk together egg yolks and butter until blended. Add to the yolk mix lemon juice, orange liqueur, lemon zest and milk. Pour the lemon mixture into the sugar mixture and whisk until smooth. Note: you can use rum or other liqueurs if you don't like orange.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Note: if you overbeat your whites they are hard to incorporate. Gently fold in egg whites into batter in three parts. As you fold them in continuously turn the bowl. Pour mixture into ramekins. Note: the mixture should still be slightly streaky.
- Transfer the ramekins to a small roasting pan. Note: if you don't have ramekins you can use an 8x8 Pyrex dish. Place the pan in the oven and pour enough hot water to cover the bottom inch of the ramekins. This is called a baine marie. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until puffed and golden. Remove the pan from the oven and carefully take the ramekins out of the water bath. Transfer the ramekins to a rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. The result is a cake with a pudding on the bottom. YUM! Enjoy!!
Similar categories: Desserts