Try These Old-fashioned Hamburger Joint Onion Rings!
Carla's Onion Rings
- 1/2 cup All purpose flour plus more for dredging
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon instant mashed potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup club soda
- 2-3 cup Japanese bread crumbs
- Fine salt to taste
- 2-3 medium onions cut 1/4 inch thick and separated into rings
- Canola oil
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 2 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme.
- Stir in 1 cup club soda. Allow to sit while cutting onions. Mixture will thicken.
- Pour breadcrumbs into a second shallow dish and the dredging flour in a second dish.
- Fill heavy bottomed pot with 2 inches of canola or vegetable oil to 365-70 degrees F.
- Dip onion ring into the flour, then in the batter and coat well, and then coat with breadcrumbs. Drop onion rings immediately into hot oil. Brown on both sides, about 2 minutes. Drain on wire rack over sheet pan and sprinkle immediately with salt.