The perfect compliment for all the goodies coming off the grill this summer.
Carla Hall's Pickled Red Onions
- 1 pound red onions (about 2 medium or 1 large) thinly sliced, 1 1/2 cups white vinegar, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 bay leaf, 2 garlic cloves smashed, 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1/2 serrano chili thinly sliced
- Blanch the red onions in a saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain in colander.
- While the water is coming to a boil, in a separate saucepan combine the vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add blanched, drained onions to the vinegar mixture. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a glass jar. Allow to stand until cooled. Onions will keep several weeks refrigerated.