With a whopping 43 percent of the vote, the winner of Carla's viewer's choice dish is red velvet cake!
Red Velvet Cake
2 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1 teapsoon Baking Soda
1 teapsoon Salt
2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
1/2 cup Vegetable or Canola Oil
3/4 cup Buttermilk
1/4 cup Roasted Beet Puree (about 8oz Raw Beets)
2 Eggs (room temperature)
- Butter and flour two 9" round cake pans. Line with parchment. In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine the dry ingredients. Mix for 30 seconds with paddle attachment.
- In separate bowl, combine wet ingredients. In two parts, pour wet ingredients into mixer. Mix on medium speed until combined. Do not over mix. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake on center rack for 35 minutes at 350 or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out on wire rack. Cool cakes completely.
- Cut each cake in half horizontally to make four layers.
- Prepare frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla, and then continue to mix until incorporated. Next, slowly add the sugar, beating until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Frost the top of each layer, then sides, finishing with the top.