Red Velvet Cake
With a whopping 43 percent of the vote, the winner of Carla's viewer's choice dish is red velvet cake!
- step-by-step directions
Red Velvet Cake
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1 teapsoon Baking Soda
- 1 teapsoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Roasted Beet Puree (about 8oz Raw Beets)
- 2 Eggs (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons Red Food Coloring
- 1 teapsoon White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
For the Frosting
- 16 oz Cream Cheese (room temperature)
- 1 stick Butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups White Chocolate Chips (melted)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- Butter and flour two 9" round cake pans. Line with parchment. In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine the dry ingredients. Mix for 30 seconds with paddle attachment.
- In separate bowl, combine wet ingredients. In two parts, pour wet ingredients into mixer. Mix on medium speed until combined. Do not over mix. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake on center rack for 35 minutes at 350 or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out on wire rack. Cool cakes completely.
- Cut each cake in half horizontally to make four layers.
- Prepare frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla, and then continue to mix until incorporated. Next, slowly add the sugar, beating until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Frost the top of each layer, then sides, finishing with the top.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Desserts Cakes Holidays & Occasions Christmas Christmas Desserts Cuisine Southern
Publican Chicken with Chicory Salad
Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Cake
Flank Steak with Herb Dressing and Charred Broccolini
Whole Wheat Penne with Summer Squash and Arugula
Muffaletta with Olive Relish
Udon Bowl with Peanut Sauce and Grilled Chicken
Baked Eggs over Heirloom Tomatoes and Mixed Greens
Fresh Rigatoni with Zucchini and Corn
Blueberry Lemon Poppy Seed Scones with Lemon Glaze