This is one of Carla Hall's favorite recipes.
Carla Hall's Smothered Lemon Chicken with Peas and Carrots
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 Yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 lemon (for the lemon zest)
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1/2 cup Chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 box frozen peas
- 1 carrot (sliced into coins)
- 1 box frozen pearl onions
- 1 bunch tarragon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Saute chicken in olive oil. Add onions and a dash of salt.
- Remove chicken. Keep cooking onions until tender. Add stock and milk and dust with flour.
- Once stock and milk are hot, add lemon zest, then add chicken back and cook until it's done. (you can add some peas if you like). Add some parsley.
- Sweat carrots in butter until tender. Add pearl onions and peas. ("Sweat" means to cook slowly over low heat in butter, usually covered, without browning)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, lemon zest, thyme and tarragon.Plate and serve with peas, carrots and pearl onions