Check out this refreshing salad.
Carla Hall's Winter Greens with Pears, Aged Cheddar, and Almonds
- 4 medium heads Belgian Endive
- 2 medium Shallots (Finely Diced)
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Bunch Watercress (thick stems trimmed and cut into 3 inch sprigs)
- 1 Large pear (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon Chives (cut at an angle into 1/4 inch lengths)
- 1 tablespoon Flat Leaf Parsley (coarsely chopped)
- 1/3 cup Almonds (toasted and coarsely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Crumbled Aged NY Cheddar Cheese
- Remove the outer leaves of the endives and cut in half lengthwise. Cut into 1 inch thick slices on the bias.
- Next mix the shallots, vinegar, and salt in a bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to marry. Whisk the olive oil into the vinegar mixture and season with pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Combine the endive, watercress, pear, chives, parsley and vinaigrette in a large bowl and toss to coat.
- Arrange on a platter and top with the almonds and cheese.