Michael Symon's Carrot Bread
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 Orange (zested)
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Carrots (grated and packed; about 2 medium carrots)
- 1/4 cup Pistachios (shelled and coarsely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a standard 9x5 inch loaf pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes with an electric mixer. Add the egg, milk, orange zest and vanilla and continue to beat until well incorporate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the carrots and toss to coat in the flour mixture.
- Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture in three additions, stirring just until blended. Over mixing the batter will create a tough cake. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle pistachios on top. Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with butter and salt sweetened whipped cream.