Chicken Thighs with Raisins and Cashews
Clinton Kelly's Cashew Chicken Curry
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 Boneless-Skinless Chicken Thighs (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 2 Yellow Onions (diced)
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Curry Powder (or substitute store-bought)
- 2 teaspoons Homemade Garam Masala (or substitute store-bought)
- 1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
- 1 13- ounce can Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock or Water
- 1/3 cup Golden Raisins
- 1/2 cup Cashews (toasted and coarsely chopped)
- Basmati or Jasmine Rice (to serve)
- Cilantro (to garnish)
For Homemade Curry Blend:
- 1 teaspoon Cumin (toasted and ground)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric (toasted and ground)
- 2 teaspoons Coridander Seeds (toasted and ground)
For Homemade Garam Masala Blend:
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon (toasted and ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg (toasted and ground)
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom (toasted and ground)
- 2 teaspoons Black Peppercorns (toasted and ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cloves (toasted and ground)
- Heat a large Dutch oven with a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium. Season chicken with salt and add to the pot. Cook until browned on all sides, about 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add another tablespoon of oil as needed to sauté onions. Season with salt and pepper and cook until translucent, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add either your homemade spice blends to the onions, or use store bought, and stir to combine. Return the chicken to the pan along with yogurt, coconut milk and chicken stock, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 to15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has reduced by half.
- Remove from heat and stir in the raisins and cashews. Allow to sit for 5 minutes so the raisins rehydrate and the mixture cools slightly. Serve with rice and garnish with cilantro.
- For Homemade Curry Blend and Homemade Masala Blend: For each of the spice blends, thoroughly combine the spices. Store if not using immediately.
Similar categories: Dinner