Carla is a master of Southern cuisine AND baking, and this pie stands at the nexus of both. What could be more Southern than peaches?
Cast Iron Peach Pie
- For the Pie Dough:
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 sticks (8 oz) Chilled Butter (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- For the Filling:
- 2 Tablespoon Butter (cubed)
- 4 Cups Peaches (peeled and sliced)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar (plus more to sprinkle)
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Amaretto
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- Combine water, salt, and sugar in measuring cup. Stir and place cup in fridge for at least 15 min. (to chill water and to dissolve sugar and salt.) If possible, chill mixing bowl and paddle attachment if possible.
- Combine flour and butter pieces in mixing bowl. On medium speed, cut butter into flour until butter pieces are the size of small pebbles. With the mixer running, pour the water into the butter mixture. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Separate the dough into 2 disks. Wrap each with film and chill.
- Roll 1 disk of the chilled pastry dish out to fit a 8-inch cast iron pan. Reserve the other disk for lattice top. Prick all over dough with a fork. Blind bake on 375F for 10-15 minutes, or until it is lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
- Reduce heat to 350F.
- In a skillet over medium heat add butter. Add remaining filling ingredients and cook until liquid has reduced to a syrupy consistency, about 6-8 minutes. Once thickened pour filling into the pie crust.
- Roll out the other disk out to 1/8-inch thick, and cut into 1/2-inch wide pieces at least as long as as the width of the pie. Lay 8 strips across pie. Fold back every other strip, and lay a horizontal strip across the center of the pie. Unfold folded strips, then fold back remaining strips. Lay another horizontal strip across pie. Repeat folding and unfolding strips to weave a lattice pattern. Repeat on remaining side.
- Bake pie for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.