Michael Symon's Cauliflower Sausage Casserole
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound Sweet or Spicy Italian Sausage (removed from the casings)
- 1 medium head Cauliflower (about 2 pounds; cut in to small florets)
- 1 medium Onion (small diced)
- 4 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 28- ounce can whole San Marzano Tomatoes (crushed and broken up with your hands)
- 1 cup Flat Leaf Parsley (chopped)
- 2/3 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil along with the sausage. Cook, breaking up the sausage as you go, until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add cauliflower to the pot and brown on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To the pan, add the onion and garlic and a pinch of salt and cook until the onions become soft and aromatic, about 5 minutes. Add the broken up tomatoes with their liquid, along with the sausage. Bring the mixture up to a simmer and give it a taste, adding additional salt and pepper is necessary. Mix in the parsley in then pour the whole mixture in to a 13x9 baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the panko breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the top of the sausage and cauliflower and bake until golden brown on top and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, then serve. Garnish with parsley.
Similar categories: Dinner