Farm Fresh Flatbread
Carla Hall's Cheese Tart with Marinated Tomato Zucchini Salad
- For the Tomato Salad:
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes (cut in half)
- 3 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Flake
- 1/4 cup Basil leaves (torn)
- 1/2 cup Zucchini (sliced lengthwise into thin strips)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Garlic clove (smashed)
For the Tart:
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry (thawed)
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup Goat Cheese (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano (grated)
- 1 Lemon (zest)
- 1 tablespoon Chives (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Tarragon (leaves finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Parsley (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Butter (melted)
- Salt and Pepper
- For the Tomato Salad: Add the tomatoes, zucchini, chili flake, smashed garlic, red wine vinegar and olive oil to a medium size bowl. Season with salt and pepper and then set aside to marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
- For the Tart: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lay the puff pastry on a parchment lined baking sheet. With a pairing knife, lightly trace a 1 inch border around the puff pastry, then with a fork, dock (or poke holes) all over the inside rectangle. Brush the edges of the puff pastry with butter.
- Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes. The edges that were not docked should puff up and create a free form tart shell. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Combine the egg, ricotta, goat cheese, Parmigiano, lemon zest and herbs. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine evenly. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Scoop the cheese into the center of the tart and smear with a spatula to fill in the edges.
- Bake tart for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the tart is golden. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Right before serving, remove the garlic from the tomatoes. Strain the mixture and then toss with the basil leaves. Re-season with salt and pepper. Top the cheese tart with the tomato zucchini salad, cut into pieces and serve.