This surprise is worth the suspense!
Jane Mekles' Cheesy Cauliflower Surprise
- 2 Heads Cauliflower (chopped into bite-size pieces)
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup Shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Cloves garlic (roasted and minced)
- 2 cups Cheese puffs crumbled
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons Olive oil plus extra
- Chop one head of cauliflower into bite-size pieces. On a baking sheet, toss in salt, pepper, garlic and olive oil to coat. Roast in 400F oven for 20 minutes.
- Chop second head of cauliflower into bite-size pieces. Boil in saucepan filled with water until cauliflower is soft. Puree cauliflower with an emulsion blender until smooth.
- Sautee chopped onion in olive oil until soft.
- Coat casserole dish with a layer of pureed cauliflower. Add layer of roasted cauliflower. Add layer of sauteed onions. Add layer of shredded cheddar cheese and Cheese puffs. Repeat layers until casserole dish is filled. Finish with an extra layer of Cheese puffs and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Stick casserole back into 400F oven until cheese has melted and Cheese puffs are crunchy. Serve warm.