A hearty meal the whole family will love!
Emeril's Chicken and Biscuits with Redeye Gravy
- For the Chicken:
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken thighs (trimmed of excess fat)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 Small onion (finely chopped)
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup chicken stock or packaged low-sodium chicken broth plus more if needed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- kosher salt to taste
For the Cheddar and Green Onion Biscuits:
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter (cut into pieces) plus 3 tablespoons melted
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion tops
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (for dusting)
- For the Cheddar and Green Onion Biscuits: Preheat the oven to 475°F.
- Sift the self-rising flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt together into a large bowl.
- Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, work the cold butter into the flour until the pieces are pea size. Add the cheddar and green onions. Pour the heavy cream into the mixture, and with your hands or a rubber spatula, stir just until the cream and flour come together to form a dough.
- Sprinkle some of the all-purpose flour on a work surface and place the dough on top of the flour. Using a lightly floured rolling pin or your hands, shape the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick disk about 8 inches in diameter. Using a sharp 3-inch round cutter dusted with flour, cut out 6 dough rounds. Be sure to press straight down when cutting the dough—a twisting motion will prevent the dough from rising.
- Place the biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet and brush the tops with the melted butter. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- For the Chicken: Place the chicken between two pieces of plastic wrap and use a mallet or the bottom of a heavy skillet to pound each piece to a thickness of about ¼ inch.
- In a medium bowl, mix the evaporated milk, 1 tablespoon of the pepper, and the garlic. Add the chicken pieces, cover, and refrigerate for 4 hours or up to overnight.
- In another medium bowl, combine the 2 cups flour with 2 teaspoons of the salt and 2 teaspoons of the black pepper. Remove the chicken from the marinade (reserve the marinade). Lightly dredge the chicken pieces in the flour, shaking to remove the excess, dip them in the marinade, and then dredge them in the flour again. Set the chicken aside on a cooling rack or plate.