You are going to want to make Mario Batali's Chicken Cacciatore for dinner tonight!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled, thinly sliced)
- 2 sprigs rosemary (1 minced, reserve 1 sprig)
- 6 sage leaves (minced)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1 chicken (cut into 10 pieces, rinsed, patted dry, 3 pounds)
- 2 large yellow onions (peeled, coarsely chopped)
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms (stems removed, quartered)
- 4 ounces pancetta (cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- 4 ribs celery (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups Mario's Basic Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup parsley (roughly chopped, to garnish)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a large bowl, add the garlic, rosemary, sage, and half of the olive oil and stir to combine and make a dry paste. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken and rub the paste evenly over the pieces of chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a Dutch oven over high heat, add the olive oil and heat until smoking. Brush the excess rub from the chicken and add the chicken to the Dutch oven to sear, in batches if necessary, until browned on all sides. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the onions, mushrooms, pancetta, and celery to the Dutch oven and cook until the onions are golden brown and the pancetta has rendered its fat, about 8 minutes. Drain the excess oil and add the tomato sauce and wine, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the stock, sugar, red pepper flakes, and rosemary sprig and bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the pot and add the potatoes. Cover and cook for 35 minutes. Uncover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender. Remove the rosemary sprig. Transfer the chicken to a platter, top with the sauce and vegetables and serve. Garnish with parsley.
- Tip: If you would rather finish the dish in the oven, preheat the oven to 350ºF and cook, covered, for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Uncover during the last 10 minutes of cooking to crisp the skin of the chicken.
Similar categories: Chicken Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Chicken Breast Courses & Meals Dinner Chicken Cuisine Italian
Red Snapper al Chili Ajo Borracho
Sausage and Peppers over Soft Polenta
Lemon Champagne Float
Crispy Everything Bagel Baked Ravioli
Pork Chop Milanese with Peach and Potato Salad
Salmon with Chimichurri Sauce and Cauliflower Mash
Cornmeal Apple Crumble Skillet
Camp Stew (Budae Jiggae)
Pork and Beef Meatballs