Everyone needs at least one classic Italian dish in their repertoire, and this is it. It's a recipe sure to get your family around the table tonight!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 branch Rosemary (mince leaves for 1/leave 1 whole)
- 6 Sage leaves (minced)
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 3- pound Chicken cut into 8 serving pieces (rinsed and patted dry)
- 2 large Yellow Onions (coarsely chopped)
- 1 Lb Cremini Mushrooms (stems removed) cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 oz Pancetta (cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- 4 ribs Celery (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- Pinch Sugar
- Pinch Red Hot Pepper Flakes
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic, rosemary, sage and salt and pepper to taste and add enough olive oil (3 to 4 tablespoons) to make a somewhat dry paste. Add the chicken and rub the paste evenly over the pieces of chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a dutch oven, heat the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil over high heat until smoking. Brush the excess rub from the bird, and sear the chicken, in batches if necessary, until browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add the onions, mushrooms, pancetta, and celery to the pot and cook until the onions are golden brown and the pancetta has rendered its fat, about 8 minutes. Drain off the excess oil, then add the tomato sauce and wine, stirring with a wooden spoon to dislodge the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the stock, sugar, and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Add rosemary branch (remove branch before serving).
- Return the chicken to the pot, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Uncover and cook until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer the chicken to a festive platter, top with the sauce, and serve.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Chicken Breast Courses & Meals Dinner Chicken Cuisine Italian
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad
Grilled Grouper with Key Lime Mango Salsa
Leftover Meat 'n' Potato Ravioli
Spicy Roasted Head of Cauliflower
Grilled Shrimp with Bacon Jam
Tropical Grilled Shrimp Salad
Capri-Style Vegetable Salad
Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami