Rice with Squash, Jalapeno, and Onion
Michael Symon's Chicken and Chorizo Paella
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound Dried Chorizo (sliced in 1/2-inch slices)
- 8 Chicken Thighs and Drumsticks (4 of each)
- 1 Spanish Onion (chopped)
- 2 cups Butternut Squash (peeled, seeded and small diced)
- 2 cups Short Grain Rice
- 1 teaspoon Coriander (toasted and ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin (toasted and ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon Chipotle Powder
- 1/4 cup White Wine
- 5 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup Cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Parsley (chopped)
- 2 Jalapenos (thinly sliced to garnish)
- freshly ground Black Pepper
- In a paella pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook until it has rendered its fat and is cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Season your chicken pieces with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To the same pan, add the chicken pieces, skin side down and brown on both sides. Remove and set aside. Next add the onion and squash with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is tender and aromatic, about 5 minutes. Next add the rice. Toast the rice with the vegetables for a few minutes then add the coriander, cumin and chipotle powder. After about 30 seconds, add the wine, scraping any brown bits off the bottom of the pan then slowly add the chicken stock. Season again with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the chicken pieces back in along with the chorizo then cover and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the rice and chicken is cooked through.
- Turn the heat off and garnish with the cilantro, parsley and jalapenos over the top. Serve warm.