Chicken Fried Chicken
Thin boneless chicken breasts are coated in a heavenly breading mixture and drenched in gravy.
- step-by-step directions
Chicken Fried Chicken
- For the Chicken Fried Chicken:
- 5 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (butterflied and pounded 1/4-inch thick)
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour (for dredging)
- 1 tablespoon Chicken Seasoning
- 4 Eggs (beaten)
For the Gravy:
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 sprigs Thyme
- Salt and Pepper
- For the Chicken Fried Chicken: Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Season the flour with chicken seasoning, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Dredge the pounded chicken breasts in the flour, shake off the excess, then dredge in the eggs. Dredge again in the flour and then set aside on a platter to rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat a large cast iron skillet and add about 1/4-inch of oil to the pan. Heat on medium-high until the oil reaches 350 degrees F.
- Add the chicken in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan. Cook the chicken on both sides until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove the chicken to a resting rack set in a sheet tray to drain excess oil. Season with salt and pepper immediately. The chicken can be held on the resting rack in the oven, at 200 degrees F, to keep warm until serving.
- Once done cooking all the chicken, drain off almost all the oil, leaving 3 to 4 tablespoons in the pan. Return the pan to the stove over medium-high heat.
- For the Gravy: Use 4 tablespoons of flour from the dredging flour. Whisk into the oil and cook until the flour is light brown and has a sandy consistency. Slowly whisk in the chicken stock and bring up to a boil. Whisk constantly, reducing the heat to a simmer. Once the gravy begins to thicken add the milk and thyme. Continue to whisk until the gravy is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove thyme sprigs before serving. Serve the gravy with the chicken fried chicken.
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal