Having a Cinco de Mayo fiesta? This is the perfect dish for your party!
Chicken Mole Verde
- 1 Whole Chicken (broken into 8 parts)
- 4 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 4 Poblano Peppers
- 6 Serrano Peppers
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers
- 1 pound Tomatillos (halved)
- 1/4 cup Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 cup Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds)
- 1 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 6 Cloves Garlic (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons Cumin
- 1 bunch Cilantro (chopped and divided)
- 3 cups Chicken stock
- 1 Bottle Ale Beer
- 3 tablespoons Mexican Chocolate (shaved)
- 12 Flour Tortillas
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Sour Cream (for garnish)
- Lime Wedges (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss the poblanos, serranos, and jalapenos in 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil and season with salt. Place in the oven to roast for about 15 minutes or until the skin is dark brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Remove the skin and the seeds from the peppers.
- Toast sesame and pumpkin seeds in a small saute pan until fragrant. Using a spice grinder, grind the sesame and pumpkin seeds.
- In a blender, puree the peppers with the tomatillos and half the cilantro and add the ground sesame and pumpkin seeds and a pinch of salt.
- Heat the remaining oil in a Dutch oven. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and brown the chicken pieces on all sides. Add the onions, garlic, and the cumin and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the beer and the chicken stock and bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Add the rest of cilantro (saving some for garnish). Stir in the tomatillo mixture and the chocolate and let simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the mixture has reduced a bit, about an hour.
- Serve with sour cream, lime wedges, fresh cilantro, and flour tortillas. Garnish with chocolate shavings.