Chicken Pot Pie with Skillet Biscuits
Carla Hall's Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 medium yellow onions (1/2-inch dice)
- 2 carrots (cut in half lengthwise then into 1/2-inch-thick half-moons)
- 3 celery ribs (cut in half lengthwise then into 1/2-inch-thick slices on a bias)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 fresh sage leaves
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds, roasted, substitute with store-bought rotisserie chicken)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaf
- 6 Cups chicken stock
- 3/4 Cup heavy cream
- 1 Cup frozen peas (defrosted)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Cheddar Chive Drop Biscuits: Cheddar Chive Drop Biscuits: salt and pepper to taste Cheddar Chive Drop Biscuits:
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour (plus more for dredging)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 Cup shredded, sharp, yellow cheddar cheese (plus more if desired)
- 6 Tbsp cold butter (cut into pats, plus more for finishing)
- 1/2 Cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/3 Cups milk
- 1/3 Cup chives (finely chopped)
- 1/2 Cup flour (for dredging)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Chicken Filling: In a high-sided, large cast iron skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, carrots, and celery with the thyme, rosemary and sage for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pull the meat from the roasted chickens and chop up into bite size pieces.
- When the vegetables are fork tender, remove herb stems and discard. Melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Gradually pour in chicken stock while whisking constantly. Add the bay leaf and heavy cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Stir in peas and chicken. Simmer for 10 more minutes, or until thick and creamy. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Cheddar Chive Drop Biscuits:
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt, and whisk to combine. Add the butter to the dry ingredients. Combine and work the butter into the dry ingredients with fingertips. Add the cheese and chives to the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt and milk.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet mixture. Using your hands or wooden spoon, mix until just combined adding more flour if necessary.
- Drop large heaping spoonfuls of dough, about 1/4 cup, into flour to dredge. Shake off the excess flour. Arrange the biscuits on top of the chicken pot pie base. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Once the biscuits are golden brown remove skillet from the oven. Place a pat of butter over each biscuit and allow to melt.