Chicken Pot Pie with Skillet Biscuits
Carla Hall's Chicken Pot Pie
- For the Chicken Filling:
- Vegetable Oil
- 2 medium Yellow Onions (1/2-inch dice)
- 2 Carrots (cut in half lengthwise then into 1/2-inch-thick half-moons)
- 3 Celery Ribs (cut in half lengthwise then into 1/2-inch-thick slices at an angle)
- 2 fresh Sage Leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh Rosemary
- 1 fresh or dried Bay Leaf
- 6 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 4- pound Chicken (roasted; homemade or store bought)
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup frozen Baby Peas
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Cheddar Chive Drop Biscuits:
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour (plus more for dredging)
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 1/4 cups Cheddar Cheese (add more if desired)
- 6 tablespoons Butter (cut into pats plus more for finishing)
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/3 cup Chives (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Flour (for dredging)
- For the Chicken Filling: In a deep cast iron skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, carrots, and celery with the thyme, rosemary and sage for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pull the meat from the roasted chickens and chop up into bite size pieces. When the vegetables are fork tender, remove herb stems and discard.
- Melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Gradually pour in chicken stock while whisking. Add bay leaves and heavy cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Stir in peas and chicken. Simmer for 10 more minutes, or until thick and creamy. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- For the Cheddar Chive Drop Biscuits: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine flour, baking powder and salt ingredients in a medium bowl. Turn out onto a board.
- In the medium bowl now whisk together the yogurt and milk.
- Cut pats of butter into dry ingredients with fingertips. Add the cheese and chives to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet mixture. Using your hands or wooden spoon, mix until just combined adding more flour if necessary.
- Drop large heaping spoonfuls of dough, about 1/4 cup, into flour to dredge. Shake off the excess flour and then arrange the biscuits on top of the chicken pot pie base. Repeat process until your skillet chicken is topped completely with biscuits. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Once the biscuits are golden brown remove skillet from the oven. Place a pat of butter over each biscuit and allow to melt.
Similar categories: Dinner