Daphne Oz's Chicken Pozole Verde
- 2 quarts Chicken Stock (hot)
- 5 Tomatillos (husked, rinsed, halved)
- 1 medium White Onion (sliced into two halves; one half finely diced)
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper (roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Mexican Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 bunch Parsley (chopped plus leaves to garnish)
- 4 Chicken Thighs (bone-in; skin-on)
- 1/4 cup fresh Orange Juice
- 2 15- ounce cans Hominy (drained and rinsed)
- Olive Oil
- Radishes (thinly sliced)
- Avocado (cubed)
- Parsley Leaves
- Lime wedges
- Sour Cream
- Combine the tomatillos, the whole half of the onion, jalapeno (less for less heat,) oregano, cumin, maple syrup, garlic, and parsley in a blender with 1 cup hot chicken stock. Puree until completely smooth.
- In a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil. Season the chicken thighs generously with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook the chicken thighs for 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove to a plate. Deglaze the dutch oven with the pureed mixture. Bring to a simmer and reduce the sauce by half. Meanwhile, remove the chicken thigh meat from the bone and shred.
- Once the sauce has reduced by half, add the remaining chicken stock and hominy. Season with orange juice to taste. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer, cooking until hominy has heated through, about 10 minutes. Check seasoning, adjusting to taste.
- For Serving: Spoon over bowls with shredded chicken, reserved onion, radish, avocados, parsley leaves, sour cream, and season with lots of freshly squeezed lime juice.