Michael Symon's Chicken Scallopini with Tomato Mozzarella Salad
- 2 pounds Chicken Breasts (boneless; skinless; pounded to 1/4-inch thickness)
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano (freshly grated)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes (optional)
- 5 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 ounces Cherry Tomatoes
- 4 ounces Bocconcini (small Mozzarella balls)
- 1/2 Red Onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup Basil leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place a cast iron pan over medium high heat and add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place flour in a rimmed baking dish and season with salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Whisk eggs and transfer to a second rimmed baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a third rimmed baking dish, mix the panko bread crumbs, parmigiano, salt and pepper.
- Begin breading the chicken by coating lightly with the seasoned flour. Dip into the whisked eggs and then dredge in the panko mixture.
- Gently place the breaded chicken into the hot oil and allow to cook on the first side for 3 to 4 minutes or until the chicken is dark golden brown on the first side. Flip the chicken and continue to cook on the second side for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain the excess oil.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together the vinegar, remaining olive oil, salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes, bocconcini, sliced red onion and basil. Add chili flake if desired. Toss in the vinaigrette to dress.
- Plate the chicken and serve with the tomato salad.