Chicken and Waffles
This soul food dish is a true southern classic. Give it a try today.
- step-by-step directions
Chicken and Waffles
- For the Waffles:
- 1 cup Oatmeal (whole wheat pastry or all purpose flour)
- 1 cup Fine Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 ounce Canola Oil
- 2 ounce Butter (melted)
- 4 Egg Whites (room temperature)
- For the Fried Chicken:
- 2 pound Boneless (skinless Chicken Thighs)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Peanut Oil to fry
- For the Lemon-Herb Honey:
- 1 jar Honey
- 1-2 Lemon Peels
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme
- For the Waffles: Sift together the flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg yolks, milk, oil and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir with a wooden spoon just to combine. (The batter will be slightly lumpy.)
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- Whip the egg whites to soft peaks and fold into the batter in two parts.
- Ladle the batter onto the waffle iron. Close the iron and cook the waffles until they are crisp, golden and cooked through.
- For the Fried Chicken: Rub chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a paper bag or re-sealable bag, mix flour and spices.
- In small batches, place chicken in flour mixture and shake until coated. Repeat until all the chicken has been floured.
- Add oil to cast iron skillet so it is 2 inches up the side of the pan. Heat oil to 365°F. The oil is ready when a little bit is flour is dropped in, and the flour bubbles. Carefully place chicken in hot oil. Do not crowd pan. Cover and cook the chicken until it's brown on one side, then turn over to brown on the other side with the pan covered.
- Drain on a rack or paper towels.
- For the Lemon-Herb Honey: Put honey in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the thyme and lemon peels to pan. Heat for 3-5 minutes to infuse the honey. Remove peel and thyme sprigs before serving with waffles.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Fried Chicken Courses & Meals Dinner Chicken Breakfast & Brunch Waffles, Pancakes & French Toast Cuisine Southern
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal