Mario Batali's Chickpea Bruschetta with Shaved Vegetable Salad
- For the Chickpea Bruschetta:
- 2 15- ounce cans Chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tablespoon Black Olive Paste
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 large Red Onion (halved lengthwise and thinly sliced)
- Hot Red Pepper Flakes
- flaky Sea Salt
- 6 1- inch slices of Crusty Bread (such as filone or baguette)
- 2 Garlic cloves (peeled)
For the Spring Vegetable Salad:
- 3 cups Asparagus (sliced into thin rounds)
- 1 cup Carrots (sliced into thin rounds)
- 1/2 cup Radishes (stems cleaned and shaved thinly)
- 3/4 cup Peas (shelled)
- 1/2 cup Tarragon (leaves picked and finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Lemon (zest and juice)
- Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- For the Chickpea Bruschetta: Preheat a grill or an oven broiler.
- In a mixing bowl, gently stir together the chickpeas, black olive paste, 1/4 cup olive oil, onion, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and then season with flaky sea salt. Taste and adjust seasoning
- Grill or broil each slice of bread until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Rub the surface of the bread with the garlic. Spoon the chickpea mixture onto each of the grilled bread slices, making sure to use the liquid in the bottom of the bowl, and serve immediately.
- For the Spring Vegetable Salad: Combine all of the vegetables in a mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl add the tarragon, Dijon mustard and lemon zest and juice. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning. Dress the vegetables with the tarragon vinaigrette. Serve alongside the bruschetta.
1. Always shop your pantry before going to the store.
2. Use a grill pan or toaster oven for the bread slices.
3. Cut the bread thicker or thinner depending on the size of the appetizer you would like to serve.