Chili Hand Pie
Carla and Clinton team up to make this great dinner dish!
- step-by-step directions
Chili Hand Pie
- For the Chili:
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 small Red Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 1 14 ounce can Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Jalapeno (minced)
- 1 14 ounce can Pinto Beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- For the Dough:
- 2 cups AP Flour (plus more to dust)
- 1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Cold Butter (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup Ice Cold water
- Sour Cream
- Avocado slices
- Lime Wedges
- Hot sauce
- For the Chili: Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and break it up, then add the bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic. Cook, scraping the bottom of the pan as you go, until beef is browned. Add the tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and a large pinch of salt and stir together, cooking for 5 minutes, until the mixture has thickened a bit.
- Reduce heat, add the beans, and continue to cook for 5 more minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat. Stir in the cheddar cheese.
- For the Dough: In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and salt. Cut the butter into the mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water, and mix until the dough comes together.
- On a lightly floured work surface, gather the dough into a ball and press it into a disk. Dust it very lightly with flour, and roll out between two pieces of plastic or waxed paper until it is about 1/4-inch thick. Using a 4-inch cookie cutter, cut out rounds of the dough. Gather remaining dough, roll out to 1/4 inch thick, and repeat until all dough is used.
- Spoon mixture onto each of the rounds, about a scant 1/4 cup, and fold in half, sealing the edge with a dab of water. Flute the edges, and cut three slits on one side of hand pie to allow steam to escape. Arrange the hand pies on a lightly oiled sheet pan and bake until pies are golden grown, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
- Serve with bowls of garnishes to customize each pie.
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Curried Yogurt and Scallions
Poached Pears with Mascarpone Cream
Apple Cider Donut Bread Pudding
Bella Notte Spaghetti
Ratatouille Tarte Tatin
Corned Beef Sandwich Bread Pudding
Fiesta Corn Dip
Grilled Pizza Margherita
Pickle-Brined Fried Chicken Biscuit
Prosciutto and Apple Stuffed Chicken Legs with Sauteed Swiss Chard
Jalapeno Popper Dip
Chicago-Style Polish Sausage