This chocolatey dessert is simply well worth the effort. Perfect for you Cinco de Mayo feast!
- step-by-step directions
- Ramekin Prep
- enough butter to coat 12 molds
- 1 cup Cajeta (mexican caramelized milk)
- 1 stick butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- cajeta, to garnish
- To Prepare the Molds or Ramekins: Set the oven to 350°F.
- Butter the bottom and sides of each ramekin or mold until evenly spread. Pour the cajeta into the buttered molds, distributing evenly between all 12.
- To Make the Cake Base: In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy. Then, beat in the egg.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. At medium speed, beat in half of the flour mixture and half of the buttermilk into the butter/sugar mixture. Then, beat in the remaining halves. Make sure you scrape the side of the bowl to make certain that all of the ingredients mix evenly.
- To Make the Flan: Mix the eggs, vanilla, evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk in a blender.
- To Assemble: Pour the cake batter into each ramekin or mold. Then, pour the flan mixture on top of the cake batter in each mold.
- Put all of the ramekins into a large pan or baking dish. Pour hot water into the dish until it is about 1 inch deep to make a water bath. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and seal. Put the dish in the oven.
- Bake for about 50 to 55 minutes, or until the surface of each cake feels solid and a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven. Be careful when you open the aluminum foil because the steam will be very hot.
- Let the chocoflans cool, cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 2 hours before eating (NOTE: They can store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days).
- When ready to serve, run the tip of a knife around the ramekin and place it cake-side down onto a plate. Lift the mold up. Drizzle each chocoflan with cajeta and decorate with chopped pecans.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chocolate Chocolate Cakes Courses & Meals Desserts Cakes Holidays & Occasions Cinco de Mayo Cuisine Mexican
Peach Cobbler with Raspberry Coulis
Havarti and Horseradish Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Spicy Honey Dijon Coleslaw
Spice-Rubbed Smoked Chicken
Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
Banana Split Ice Cream Cupcake Bar
T-Bone Steak with Green Bean Salad
Ginger Cinnamon Funnel Cakes
Strawberry Malted Milkshake
Cheddar Pretzel Chicken with Spicy Corn Relish
Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers with Feta Bechamel