This chocolatey dessert is simply well worth the effort. Perfect for you Cinco de Mayo feast!
- For the Ramekin:
- Enough butter to coat 12 molds
- 1 cup Cajeta (Mexican caramelized milk)
- For the Cake:
- 1 stick butter
- 3/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 Egg
- 3/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- For the Flan:
- 1 12- ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 14- ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- For the Garnish:
- 1/3 cup Toasted pecans (chopped)
- For the Ramekins: Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter the bottom and sides of each ramekin or mold until evenly spread.
- Pour the cajeta into the buttered molds, distributing evenly between all 12.
- For the Cake: In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy. Then, beat in the egg.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- At medium speed, beat in half of the flour mixture and half of the buttermilk into the butter/sugar mixture. Then, beat in the remaining halves. Make sure you scrape the side of the bowl to make certain that all of the ingredients mix evenly.
- For the Flan: Mix the eggs, vanilla, evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk in a blender.
- To Assemble: Pour the cake batter into each ramekin or mold. Then, pour the flan mixture on top of the cake batter in each mold.
- Put all of the ramekins into a large pan or baking dish. Pour hot water into the dish until it is about 1 inch deep to make a water bath. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and seal. Put the dish in the oven.
- Bake for about 50 to 55 minutes, or until the surface of each cake feels solid and a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven. Be careful when you open the aluminum foil because the steam will be very hot.
- Let the chocoflans cool, cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 2 hours before eating (NOTE: They can store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days).
- When ready to serve, run the tip of a knife around the ramekin and place it cake-side down onto a plate. Lift the mold up. Drizzle each chocoflan with cajeta and decorate with chopped pecans.