A delicate meringue crust is topped with a rich chocolate-espresso filling and fresh berries.
Chocolate Angel Pie
- For the Meringue Crust:
- 4 Large Eggs (separated; whites at room temperature; refrigerate the yolks and reserve for filling)
- large pinch of Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
For the Filling:
- 12 ounces Semisweet Chocolate (chopped)
- 5 teaspoons Instant Espresso Powder (such as Medaglia D'Oro)
- pinch of Salt
- 4 Large Egg Yolks (reserved from meringue crust)
- 1 cup very cold Heavy Cream
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- For the Topping:
- 1 cup very cold Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup Sugar (super fine is preferable)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 pint fresh Strawberries (hulled and sliced; or fresh raspberries; optional)
- 1/3 cup shaved Semisweet Chocolate (optional)
- For the Meringue Crust: Preheat the oven to 275F. Lightly butter a 9-inch springform pan or a pie pan with a removable bottom and line the bottom with parchment paper; butter the paper.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites together with the salt on low speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating. When the whites are opaque and beginning to stiffen, increase the speed to medium and begin adding the sugar. Beating constantly, continue to add it very slowly so as not to deflate the egg whites. When all the sugar has been added, add the vanilla and increase the speed to high. Continue beating until the egg whites are very stiff.
- Spread the meringue mixture evenly over the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan, building up the sides about 2 inches (enough to hold the filling).
- Place the pie pan on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- For the Filling: Place the chocolate, instant espresso powder, salt and 3/4 cup of water in the top of a double boiler or in a metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Heat until the chocolate has just melted, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the egg yolks, one at a time. Let the mixture cool completely.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Beat in the Kahlua, then fold the mixture into the completely cooled chocolate. Refrigerate.
- To Assemble the Pie and Make the Topping: Spoon the chocolate filling into the meringue shell, smooth the top and refrigerate until set, for at least 4 hours. The pie can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours at this point.
- When ready to serve, carefully remove the pie from the pan and place it on a serving platter.
- Whip the 1 cup cream together with the sugar and vanilla until fairly stiff. Spread the whipped cream over the chocolate filling and decorate with the berries. Sprinkle with the shaved chocolate and serve.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chocolate Mousses, Puddings, & Pies Courses & Meals Desserts Pies & Tarts Holidays & Occasions Christmas Thanksgiving